Saturday, February 18, 2017

Week 6 Prompt

Horror Display:

For this assignment, I thought it would be fun to do a display that would entice adults to books. My display would definitely be put up in the month of October which in my few years at the library, seems to be the month where patrons are looking for a scare. One of the great things about a display, is that not only does it catch a person's eye, but it also gives librarians and staff the chance to lay out read-alikes that patrons may like. Often times patrons can be hesitant about asking librarians for help and reading advice, and displays act almost like a middle man to give them that opportunity to find a book on their own without feeling uncomfortable. Below is an image of the display I would create. This can very easily be done on a bulletin board or with pieced together papers to create a large banner. Next to the display, I would have books on display from all backgrounds of the Horror genre. I would also create a bookmark which the patrons could easily take and look at later if they would like.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Chaise,

    That’s a great idea for a horror display! I feel horror has the potential of being so fun. Especially in a public setting. I also believe horror and even Sci-Fi both have a knack for attracting certain reluctant readers, perhaps a child who might be into horror video games, unaware of the possible enjoyment they might find reading H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King. Plus, I agree some patrons can be hesitant about approaching staff and what better way to combat that by providing a middle man to assist with the advisory. I also love the idea of allowing the patron to take something (physical) away or go home with something. This time in the way of a bookmark! I feel little fun ideas like this allow for a much more pleasurable and memorable experience and allow for frequent return visits, as well as positive word of mouth about the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the display idea and the graphics are great! Full points!

    ReplyDelete