Saturday, January 14, 2017

Personal Reading Profile

I am definitely a veracious reader, especially when it comes to Young Adult books. Prior to working at the Dallas Public Library, I used to be a Young Adult assistant at the Carmel Clay Public Library. Until then, I didn’t read much YA, however now that is pretty much exclusively what I read. Last year with grad school, I only read 45 books, but typically I average in between 125-150 books read each year. If I had to pick my favorite genres would probably be science fiction, psychological thrillers, fantasy and LGBTQ. On the flip side, if I had to choose my least favorite genres I would have to pick romance, especially the “feel good” Summer romance books that are popular in YA fiction. I actually owned quite a bit of books, however in my move to Texas I parted ways with close to half of my collection so that the moving load wasn’t so large.

Creating a list of books that are my “Top Picks of 2016” is definitely hard, even with the fewer amount of books that I read. But, here it goes:

  •        The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid (Science Fiction and I met the author at ALA this past summer!)
  •        Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (Science Fiction, #2 in a series)
  •         Draw the Line by Laurent Linn (Realistic Fiction with a twist of Graphic Novel throughout)
  •         Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin (Realistic Fiction/LGBTQ)
  •         Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (Fantasy)

My TOP 5 ALL TIME favorite books (even harder to come up with than last year’s list!!)

  •        The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
  •              I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
  •        Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
  •        Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
  •             The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

5 comments:

  1. Chaise,

    So what are you doing at your new job?
    I also prefer to read YA, when I want to try something new I look at the award winning books.
    What psychological thrillers would you recommend, I am looking to read more from this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaise,

    So what are you doing at your new job?
    I also prefer to read YA, when I want to try something new I look at the award winning books.
    What psychological thrillers would you recommend, I am looking to read more from this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read young adult regularly, they are just so great! I'll admit I like those cheesy summer romance books though! Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and The Symptoms of Being Human are both very high on my to-read list this year. Unfortunately with school and work it's difficult to make time for reading. Hopefully I'll have time to get around to them. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YA books are one of my favorites also. I like that they do not read as childish but also do not get into the explicit details of adult genres. I am not a big fan of the romance ones but I enjoy them when they include thrills or characters that are not human.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the I Hunt Killer series, very under-rated if you ask me. I heard they were going to make a tv show at some point but I don't know if that's going to happen anymore. Great profile!

    ReplyDelete